Friday, April 16, 2010

The First Call to Poison Control

A few weeks ago I got to make my very first phone call to Poison Control! Now that I have a little boy in my belly I should probably go ahead and put their number on the refrigerator since boys are naturally a little more inquisitive, but this was the first time I ever had to call them for Isabelle. Belle as a new infatuation for taking pens apart, and Dave and I have asked her on many occasions to stop I don't really know what she sees is in but I can guarantee she took her last pen apart a few weeks ago when she learned her lesson.

I was in the office working on some invitations when she yelled, "mom are the dishes in the dishwasher clean or dirty". She asked that on occasion so that she can get herself some water, but on this particular day I had just gotten her a drink so I knew that she was not getting water. I asked her why she wanted to know, her reply "I cannot tell you". Like I would have just said ok to that response (I don't think so), my motherly reply "you had better tell me"!! That is when she walked into the office bawling with ink all over her hands, her mouth and completely coating the inside of her mouth. I scooped her up and took her to the kitchen to start swishing around some water and reassuring her that it would be ok. She was sooo upset, I think she was terrified that she would be in trouble. I wanted so desperately to take a picture because I knew it would make a great picture for the blog but as upset as she was I knew she would not be happy with me taking her picture. After swishing with water for about 5 minutes, brushing her teeth, and then following up with some mouthwash I was surprised that she was relatively clean with the exception of her now black tongue. The only thing in the house that really was damaged was a decorative towel that she decided to wipe her hands on before she told me what had happened, and luckily with a little hairspray and a lot of combing it came right out.

I googled to see if ink was poisonous but it said you would need to swallow an ounce or more, and Isabelle had assured me she had now swallowed any. Of course there is not even an ounce of ink in a single pen but I thought I would call anyway to be safe and was very impressed with the center they were very quick to answer and assured me that she would live =)

I guess every now and then we have to learn our lessons the hard way, but I can assure you that Isabelle has not taken a pen apart (or put one in her mouth) since this day.

1 comment:

Tosha's tales said...

I have never had to make a call the them before maybe I have just been pretty lucky but the boys dont get into things like that =)