Thursday, May 14, 2009

Conceiving a Baby = Some Serious Science

The battle to conceive continues, hopefully this will be the winning month. The week has been filled with what seems to be endless doctors appointments. As mentioned in my last blog we went to the doctor on Saturday for a sonogram. The sonogram was to ensure that the Clomid was doing it's job and that I was producing follicles. The tech said that my body loves to produce follicles because there were a bunch but not any that were ready to ovulate yet, so I had to go back on Tuesday. Tuesday morning I had another sonogram done and the follicles had grown and were ready to go. I have three follicles (21 mm, 19.5mm, and 17.5), for those of you who know about follicles. Personally I had no clue what follicles were until my visit on Tuesday. They are what holds the egg inside of the ovaries, once they get to a mature size of about 20mm you are ready to ovulate. So they did a test and was not ovulating on my own. This means Dave's lucky day, he got to give me a shot! I am not scared of shots AT ALL, but just the thought of someone other than a medical professional seems a little scary to me. It went well and he did a great job! We were then instructed to do a little business that night (I sure hope you know what that means) not for the purpose of making a baby, but for a post coital test the next day. We did as we were told and went in to the doctors office on Wednesday where they checked to see if any of the sperm from last night had survived through to the morning, or if my body had rejected and killed them. Good news, his swimmers were alive! Yeah! So again we were instructed to do some business Wednesday night as well as Thursday morning. At this point I am beginning to feel like a science experiment, constantly poked and prodded, blood drawn, given all kinds of time lines, etc. Not to mention as much as I love my husband this whole "relations" thing is not fun any more. When you are doing it just to make a baby, it takes a little bit of the fun out of it, plus I have been battling allergies all week which does not help matters.

Anyways, we go back to the doctor tomorrow for yet another sonogram to make sure that I actually ovulated. Then I go back in next week for a blood test to check my progesterone levels. If my progesterone levels are not good they still have time at that point to put me on some type of supplements to help that. The following Friday (the 29th, I think) I will take a home pregnancy test. Let's hope that this is our month. If this is our month then I will be due at the beginning of February which will be right around Isabelle's birthday. I hate that she would have to share her birthday, but at this point I will take a baby whenever I can get one =)

Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers.

No comments: